The Mauritian Blog Brethren
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[noob_support] what to blog?

+6
DigitalBin
Diya
offbeat_chick
carrotmadman6
morinn
waz
10 posters

Go down

[noob_support] what to blog? Empty [noob_support] what to blog?

Post by waz Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 pm

howdy ho, me mateys! I've been lurking around. Every now and then, an entry will pop out requesting for blogging help. "What to blog!?!" seems to be one of the main dilemma of most bloggers. If not, it's template choice. But let's focus on "What to blog!?!" first...

If you're new and you're thinking of starting a blog coz it looks or feels like a fun thing to do, first understand that there are at least 3 types of bloggers...

1) Personal Blogger
Zese are the "bla bla bla" bloggers who will, without exception, blog about anything that crops up in them life. Sometimes, they are fun to read. Sometimes, they are boring as hell. The vast majority of the blogosphere is comprised of them personal blogs. It is a good way to keep in touch with friends and families. Depending on how you blog and what you actually post (i.e. how much info you put up), your anonymity is more or less protected. For a noob, that's the best place to start for he/she gets to have a feel of the ups and downs of blogging. However, a personal blog will not necessarily lure other bloggers to comment. Also, being a personal blogger = possible hatred or disgust from other so-called pro-bloggers. BUT! Fear not! Despite their bitching and wailing....despite their regular bashing of personal blogs, these so-called pro-bloggers sorely depend on personal bloggers for them referals, link backs, digs and technorati ranking. So, being a personal blogger ISNOT a bad thing.

2) Pro- / quasi- pro blogger
A flagrant example of such a blog within the Mauritian blogosphere will definitely be blogosquare (Hans). Zese bloggers focus on one particular topic or area of interest. They are the niche bloggers. They do so because they want to target bloggers or netizens with similar interest. Ultimately, they want to attract as much traffic as possible to them blogs so that they can earn ad revenues. Some are a real blast to interact with. Others are outright snobs. But whatever they blog or say in their comment section, understand that their primary agenda is to convert you into a regular visitor for the ad-clicking.

For a noob, it's best not to be a niche blogger unless, said noob has thoroughly planned it. Or, said noob has quasi - encyclopedic knowledge of the chosen topic. So far, topics that are most likely to get hits are tech, game (PC, PSP, PS3, Xbox360, Wii) or lifestyle - related.

3) The in-betweens...Note: I've just coined this term! Razz
Instead of being such polar opposites, why not have the best of both 1) and 2)? The personal aspect of the blog may actually encourage some readers to de-lurk! It may also help strengthen the relationship between them readers and the blogger.

Being an in-between can also be an ideal way for a noob to start blogging! Said noob gets to experiment and learn before taking the big step into being a pro-blogger (if he/she wishes so)

Now, your job is to choose which one will rather fit you. But before you do that, it's also important to note:

- being a noob is not a bad thing!
- there is NO life-changing equation that will make your blog popular...
- it's all trial and error...learn from your mistakes! Get feedback from friends or other bloggers
- don't worry! You can always delete your blog and start over again! But let your readers know...
- most will stop blogging within 2-3 weeks
- most will stop blogging because there are no comments. Noobs always worry about that. No comments do not equate with no visitors! We DO LURK!!! BIG TIME!
- others will stop blogging because after the "Hello World!" entry, they realise blogging is either not fun or too demanding...
- within 2-3 months or less, most will post the following cliche entry "I don't know what to blog!"
- 1-2 yrs l8r, most will cease blogging or reduce their blogging frequency because of less time spent online
- if you keep to it, you will definitely make new friends
- blogging is a hobby...as all hobby, if you're too serious about it, it won't be fun!
- expect your blogging styly to change every now and then...
- as long as you link back, it should not matter that you copy paste from someone's else entry...it's all about sharing!
- because of the demographics, blogging at times do equate with online bashing, flame wars and loads of swearing/ cursing/ death threats. Unless you're in the States or somewhere in Europe, do not be scared away! Most of them bloggers are not mean/ real baddie in meatworld (real life)

What to blog? Hopefully, all this has answered your questions. If you are still at a loss, lurk!!! Blog hop to as many blogs as possible and lurk...Make a list of blogs that you like...Then, ask yourself, why their entries are fun to read. Having answered that, blog likewise!

May the force be with you and Happy Blogging!!! Razz

ps: new on the shelf -> blogging for dummies
waz
waz

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

[noob_support] what to blog? Empty Re: [noob_support] what to blog?

Post by morinn Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:11 pm

wooh! great noob support! made me actually ask questions regarding my own blog. i'm personal, no denying it Razz i survived the no comments period, luckily.
morinn
morinn
Sunny Blogger
Sunny Blogger

Female
Number of posts : 2137
Mood : [noob_support] what to blog? Sign0025

http://www.morinn.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carrotmadman6 Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm in the 3rd category.... Razz

& i've definitely survived the no-comments period... lol!

& btw is blogosquare dead? The most successful "niche" blog i think would be Yan's blog. Wink

But as well, i'm still perplexed why this info is not on your blog?? Smile

more tips:
Actually there is a life-changing equation to make your blog popular:
Be original, be unique, be the first! Smile
carrotmadman6
carrotmadman6
SuperBlogger
SuperBlogger

Male
Number of posts : 1320
Mood : [noob_support] what to blog? 3D%20Smiles%20(319)

http://themediaguru.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by morinn Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 pm

in my case i'm always the first to post on goofy stuff! but then no one reads them! lol!
morinn
morinn
Sunny Blogger
Sunny Blogger

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by offbeat_chick Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 pm

i am still a noob and i am learning. but i dont take my blog seriously. i just post whenever i feel like. its mostly meant jus 4 me Smile
offbeat_chick
offbeat_chick

Female
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2007-11-30

http://yearsofbliss.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Diya Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks I absolutely needed this noob support. i hope i make it past the fatal 2-3 weeks
Diya
Diya

Female
Number of posts : 383
Mood : [noob_support] what to blog? 3D%20Smiles%20(318)
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm

thanks morinn! congrats for surviving the "no commentz" period! Razz

@ carrotmadman6: Hans. me think, is busy with studies in France...so yeah, i guess it's kinda dead...thanks for the magic formula! Razz

@ offbeat_chick: yep, good attitude!

@ diya: no worries...expect more entries from [noob_support]
waz
waz

Back to top Go down

Post by DigitalBin Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:12 am

Great noob_support Waz! Something like this was absolutely needed! Razz I'll make it sticky
DigitalBin
DigitalBin

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2007-10-07

http://www.thembb.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bbZuSh Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Hehe... Nice XD I guess I am in the 3rd cat Razz Not sure though XD I never did go through the no comments cats because I always had friends to read what I wrote... and uhh... I do post the "I don't know what to blog" frequently *blushing*
bbZuSh
bbZuSh
Creative Genius
Creative Genius

Female
Number of posts : 754
Mood : [noob_support] what to blog? Tweety_4

http://nussaibah.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:44 pm

thanks digitalbin!

@ bbzush: don't worry u r not the only blogger who post this entry regularly! Razz
waz
waz

Back to top Go down

Post by rubeina Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Interesting read. I am not really a noob blogger since I had a blog in the past but abandoned it after a few months because of lack of time and interest probably it wasn't the right niche for me @ that time. Good thing is that the blog is still bringing in a few dollars Wink

rubeina

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-02-09

http://www.rubeina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by star_rant Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

great noob support for bloggers. I was actually more in need of a noob support for new forum members. Anyone can help me out?
star_rant
star_rant

Female
Number of posts : 32
Mood : [noob_support] what to blog? Sign0023
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by morinn Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:13 pm

star_rant wrote:great noob support for bloggers. I was actually more in need of a noob support for new forum members. Anyone can help me out?

yeah! but i think you've been able to cope with all this quite well. Wink you've been able to post etc. hmm is there something special you want help about?
morinn
morinn
Sunny Blogger
Sunny Blogger

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by star_rant Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 am

Je peux pas voir mon signature Sad pourtant I have enabled it
star_rant
star_rant

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by star_rant Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 am

oops, sa va maintenant! desoler shy je le voi
star_rant
star_rant

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yan Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:02 pm

This is some serious cool stuff. Thanks waz.

Actually Hans blog is not a niche blog. He blogs about stuffs that interest him and his main interests are designing wordpress templates. Blogosquare is no longer active as far as I know.

Before moving on to Diethack, I used to write some articles on Blogosquare under Yan and the articles were not focused on a specific niche.

One article which I wrote and which I hope will help bloggers here is http://blogosquare.com/2007/07/18/8-powerful-ways-to-add-value-to-your-blog/.
Yan
Yan

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by morinn Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:02 pm

http://blogosquare.com/2007/07/18/8-powerful-ways-to-add-value-to-your-blog/

mo ti p ale lor thembb.forumotion.com sak fois ki mo click link lao la. akoz sa mone met sa ici. Embarassed
morinn
morinn
Sunny Blogger
Sunny Blogger

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm

@ rubeina: keep it up...sometimes all you need is a break or a slight change in direction...and then big badaboum! loads of ideas, loads of entries, loads of comments/hits!

@ star_rant: sorry...i can't be of much help there since i'm not the admin nor am i the creator...i think kate and digitalbin are the right persons to holler...

@ Yan: thanks! i remember...i was looking for your profile at the time coz he did not say he was having a guest blogger

@ morinn: thanks!
waz
waz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down